Monday, November 03, 2008

Preview

Another little teaser post, I’m afraid, but this one with multimedia! On my first day in Arizona I was interviewed by the company’s PR department for this promotional video, which they had edited and up on their website five days later. It’s a great piece (with fantastic camera work, I think), and I’m relieved to say that I don’t sound like a complete idiot.

Arizona Opera Mikado preview video

I will say that I already disagree with myself, though! I no longer think that Yum-Yum in “conniving” or even that she sets out to “get what she wants.” Nanki-Poo is the one with the plans, mostly, even though it is Yum-Yum who saves his hide at the end of Act I with her silly nonsense-syllable attack on Katisha. She is largely an “in the moment” kind of girl, accepting even the most outrageous or seemingly hubristic moments as natural and understandable. Think of Giselle in Enchanted... (If you haven’t seen it, you must, especially in you live in NYC. It is so charming your head will explode.)

This has been a wonderful rehearsal process, one that has taken me back to my theater roots. We’ve got a full day today, but I will be writing soon about how much fun it has been to “read lines” again and walk around with a script in my hand. Can’t wait to tell you all about it!

5 comments:

  said...

I completely agree!

NONE of Gilbert's heroines do anything but follow what they think is the right thing to do, and are almost always rewarded for it in the end for following their moral compass instead of the "easy thing."

Josephine from Pinafore, Rose from Ruddigore, Elsie from Yeoman...all of them are presented with a choice on taking the short cut or following the "dictates of their heart"...ALL come through in the end!

-Michael (G&S Nerd)

Valerie said...

Nice to 'meet' you in the video clip- I thought you did great! Looks like a lot of fun.

Patty said...

Oh what FUN to see and hear you on the video. Thanks for alerting us to this!

We are doing Elixir right now in San Jose. It seems like just a nice thing to be doing during these rough times. I hope the audience agrees.

I'm so jealous that you get to do some G&S. I haven't done that for ... well ... I'm going to guess nearly 30 years! Yikes.

Unknown said...

I agree with Valerie - it was nice to meet you on the video. It seems like a great production and you looked like you were having a lot of fun.
the libretto's for operas can be so off the wall, especially G&s... this one is no exception... I got dizzy just reading the synopsis.

Alex Shapiro said...

Hello there Ms. AC-- for a change of pace, I thought I'd tag you with a "meme of seven." Details reside on my blog...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...