Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Two words

I have two words for myself: bel canto.

God, this stuff feels good to sing! And for some reason I can ring a high E-flat for days (well, not days) at the end of “Qui la voce” but not “Glitter and be Gay.” Go figure.

More repertoire hammerings are underway. I’m sure that my impending meeting with management is causing it. I don’t want to be wishy-washy with my Fach and the knowledge of my voice. At last week’s audition, one of the auditors said, after my first aria, “Do you consider yourself a Lyric or a Lyric Coloratura? ‘Cuz I hear you more as a lyric but most of what you have here is mostly LC.” I admitted that I was in transition, so he asked for my most LC piece (“Mein Herr Marquis;” no Glitter that day…) with a “Let’s see how you do with this.” I did ok, I think, but probably not as good as the Nannetta.

What’s going one? One year ago, I was embracing my inner Queen of the Night and grappling with high notes. I was looking for something special about my voice that would set me apart. I had high notes (sometimes) and a good tone up there, so that must be it! High notes must be my strength. Ok, here goes…

And then this summer I discovered that the true strength of my voice is line, especially high, floaty lines. I’m less comfortable with the pointillist coloratura lines of Zerbinetta then I am with the long, high lines of Sophie. I still can’t get my head around Despina, but my voice likes her better than Blondchen. Then there are Ilia, Norina, Adina, Zerlina, Gilda, and let’s not forget Nannetta. What do they have in common? You could work a high D or two into some of the Donizetti, but most of those roles don't go above a high C.

I think 2006 is going to be the year of embracing my inner soubrette… And, please god, let this be the last identity crisis! I’m getting too old for this…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, it's never over.

In a few years, you'll grow some more and then have to figure out where you fit in with the new voice. Singing is constantly asking, "Who am I?"

Anonymous said...

I'm Jean Valjean.

ACB said...

Two, Four, Six, Oh, OOOOOOOONE!!

Princess Alpenrose said...

Ah, yes. "Fun with Fachs". I agree with MG, it never ends, and maybe that's a good thing.

It's certainly never boring!

Anonymous said...

Soubrettes are all about middle voice. From what I've heard of you it sounds like you're a lyric with a good extension....alla Kathleen Battle, or Harolyn Blackwell, or Ruth Ann Swenson. Although Battle fell into some bad habits, these ladies are able to sing some soubrette roles and some LC and some Lyric roles. Yep definitely lyric with extension...you're definitely a broader voice type

Anonymous said...

yeah dont limit yourself, you dont fit into a box

ACB said...

Thanks, everybody. Your thoughts are right inline with what my coach and manager (and other ears in my circle) are saying. More soon.

Oh, and TJM? So typically baritone, that's all I have to say! =]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...