Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year

For the first time in about five years, I didn’t perform on New Year’s Eve. It was a choice, too, which made it feel even better. I knew I’d have a crazy fall and a December full of performances, so I decided that I wanted NYE to be a night I just got to hang out with my friends and not have to “be on.” It was wonderful.

My fabulous friend, CT the DT, hosted us all at her beautiful home with a view of the Space Needle. Every year at midnight (for we often go there after my performances), we pile onto the porch to watch the fireworks and sing “Auld Lang Syne.” (We even know all the words!) This year, there were “specialty cocktails” in addition to the champagne, so it was a festive time all around! Erik and IT manned the bar; they even wore their waiter costumes! Just kidding. They both looked quite dashing. There was some dancing, some accordian playing, some cigar smoking, and lots of laughing. A wonderful way to ring in 2006.

My goals in 2006:
• Read more (please send suggestions!).
• Get our personal and my business finances in better order, knowing exactly where the money goes and getting the debt payed OFF.
• Secure management and use it as a tool to get my name, face, and voice in front of more A- and B-level houses.
• Learn two roles I am not currently booked to perform: Nannetta and Sophie (Rosenkavalier).

Here’s to clean slates and blank calendars!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I have some suggestions, most of which you’ve probably already read:

“Middlesex” by Jeffrey Eugenides. Wow. Could not stop reading it.

Currently reading “A Million Little Pieces” by James Frey.

I finally read “Sybil” in 2005. I highly recommend it.

Dean Koontz usually gets on my nerves, but I actually enjoyed “Odd Thomas.”

“Cruddy” by Lynda Barry. It’s my bible. I’m like a Jehovah’s Witness with this book.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Very funny because someone suggested *yesterday* that I read "Cruddy" and I'd never heard of it or the author. ACB, if you do read it, you should post about it and let us know what you think.

Anonymous said...

I gotta second the Middlesex suggestion and add his other book, Virgin Suicides. I still need to see that movie but the book is AMAZING.

I really like a lot of John Irving as well. Prayer for Owen Meany, World According to Garp, A Widow for One Year. Some of his stuff can get a little weird, but I really dig him.

ACB said...

Ah, yes, Middlesex. I have it around here somewhere... got about halfway through and then put it down, something I tend to do with books I really like - b/c I don't them to be over! God, what does that say about me...

Maybe I'll pick it up again for my trip. Sarah, how is the Frey? The Virgin Suicides is appealing, too.

Keep 'em comin!

Anonymous said...

I recently fell in love with Douglas Coupland. Girlfriend in a Coma is amazing as is Miss Wyoming. I just started All Families are Psychotic and it's brilliant so far. Quirky and bizzare and beautifully written.

Sarah said...

I am in awe of you being able to put "Middlesex" down. It woke me up at night begging me to read more.

The Frey is rockin'. I really like the style.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Chuck Palahniuk (most famous for writing "Fight Club"). You can't go wrong with any of his stuff, but I especially like "Invisible Monsters" and think you will, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm only about halfway through but I'd recommend against it. Cheesy. Definitely cheesy. Of course, I'm the person who can't put the book down even if it's terrible, but that's just me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...