Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Corpi Flessuosi


This is one of my three costumes for Turandot, and by far the most beautiful. I'm wearing a skin-colored bodysuit underneath, so once it's onstage with the lights, the effect is quite sensual. I am one of the courtesans (corpi flessousi, or "willowy bodies") offered to Calaf in hopes of getting him to tell us his name. Amazing costume! The 8-inch platform shoes were cut tonight, replaced with embroidered slippers. We are now able to move much more sensuously, as we aren't as worried about falling over!

The whole opera really came together tonight. We had a small audience, so that extra element was in play. As one of my castmates said, once there's an audience, we all care a bit more. It's not just another run-through, it's a performance. For better or worse, he's right.

Very tired now. Off to bed! Five hours of rehearsal tomorrow afternoon, and a Girls' Night with the other lady apprentices while the men have another Barber of Seville dress rehearsal. Fun times! Posted by Hello

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful costume!

I am rather amused...I think that the concert photo you have is from Jordan Hall at the New England Conservatory...been there many times :)

ACB said...

Yes, you are correct! The photo is from the Brahms Requiem that I sang there in 2001 as a first year grad student. You can sort of see me there to the left of the conductors platform, flowers in hand. It is a wonderful hall, indeed, and I am lucky to have sung there several times.

Anonymous said...

WOWSA!!!!!!! Glad they cut the platforms, seems like a bad compination with a three foot train...

xoxoLaura

Anonymous said...

Damn, girl. You is fine.

Lucy said...

Forgive my nosiness, but I stumbled across your blog when I was looking for the "Turandot" libretto online! Are you performing in/around NYC in the near future??? I've never seen the opera performed and I'd love to. It IS a gorgeous costume.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...