Wednesday, July 05, 2006

LHL

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson died yesterday, at home here in Santa Fe. I knew she was ill, and was hoping against hope that she would recover. I was so looking forward to hiding in the theater during rehearsals for the Mark Morris Orfeo at the Met next season...

I heard her sing three years ago at Tanglewood, Debussy's sensual "Chanson de Bilitis," and even with some rather silly staging, I was blown away. Talk of her musicality is on everyone's lips right now, but I was bowled over by the sheer beauty of her voice.

In the past few years, I have appreciated the blogosphere's tributes to the many great musicians and artists who have passed on. I read the articles and recollections and reminiscences with great interest, celebrating the person's life with joy and being grateful for their gifts to those of us still here.

But this time I don't want to read anything. I just want her to not be dead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I just sat here with my jaw hanging open. I knew something had to be wrong with her last year when she cancelled a few performances here in NY.

I am really saddened by this.

Kevin Ashworth said...

Yes, quite sad. Gratefully, we got to hear her with BSO's Gurrelieder earlier this year.

"In the presence of Lieberson, one feels a sense of wonder. I think it's because every time we hear her, something from the profound depths, something beyond music and objects and time, tries to speak to us. Her voice is a vessel." -- of the kosmos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...