Friday, November 10, 2006

Yesterday was a good day

Lots of good things on my mind and in my life yesterday, the gorgeous weather not the least of them. A surprise talk with a couple of friends I’d been missing, an upcoming weekend in Boston, ending therapy and feeling wonderful about my life, career, and relationships. I talked to my mom for a while last night, and we must have talked for half an hour before the fact that I was awarded an Encouragement Award from the Sullivan Foundation came up! It was nearly eclipsed by all the other good things.

(I like this fact, because it shows that I am succeeding in my attempt to find all the other things I am, all the other ways to define myself, aside from singing. Time was, if I’d won an award, that would be the first thing on my mind. It’s still there, but it is surrounded by the rest of my life. Yet another good thing.)

But, back to the award for now! I am very happy with the outcome, especially considering that I didn’t feel I was at 100%. Sure, it would have been nice to win the big grant, but the Encouragement Awards have a nice cash prize attached, and as we know, every little bit helps. Money was starting to get tight, but now I’ll have enough to get the coachings I need to make sure I’m ready to go in January. And pay rent, and eat, and maybe even buy that adorable red dress…

The Encouragement Award is not like a consolation prize; far from it. The email I received sums it up nicely: “Congratulations! The Sullivan judges have decided to give you an Encouragement Award for 2006-07, with the hope that you will return in a future year to sing for us again.” So, they liked what I had to offer, and want to hear more. That’s really all you can hope from auditions of any kind, so I am pleased. Not to mention that even winning the Encouragement Award is another way to get my name and people’s radars. “Oh, I’ve heard about her. Didn’t she just win a Sullivan?” Get them talking, keep your name in their minds. Part of the business.

Oh, and something else good this week: I finally recorded some arias! I was still a bit sick, so my voice got tired really quickly and all the things that are usually easy were very strained, especially my floaty notes. So I don’t think I’ll use much from the session. It was kind of an experiment, anyway, the recording setup. A very successful experiment, though, so I think we’ll do it again (“we” being the recording “engineer,” also a singer, and my pianist, JD).

What I was happy with from the session, however, was the recording of Regnava. It needs to be edited a bit; I did one full take and two takes of the ending. But as soon as I can, I’ll get it up on the web. I’m really, really happy with it, although I still can’t quite believe it’s me…

Off for the weekend! Have a good one where ever you are, and tell your loved ones you love them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, ACB. This is Andrew Frazier, one of Mrs. Pierce's students from UGA. I've been reading your blog since you came last year and gave us your card (with all your info). It's just fascinating to read about everything you're doing, and it gives me renewed hope that I can achieve my dreams if I work hard enough for them.

Congratulations on the Sullivan! That's an amazing honor, and what an encouragement! I actually have a reason for writing you today. As you know, Frederick Burchinal is now on staff as is George Darden, a recently retired accompanist/coach from the Met. I've learned a lot from them, and if you happen to read my latest blog post, you'll see that some great things have been happening.

I just want to talk to someone who is out there doing it, making the life for themselves. I understand that you are very busy, and I don't want to take up much of your time. I would just like your advice on things like the amount of time I should be practicing, if I should start preparing roles, grad schools, YAPs, etc. E-mail would, of course, be easier than blogging, so if you are willing, please e-mail me at frazier.andrewm@gmail.com. I would appreciate any help you can give, and I hope to hear from you soon. :)

Dave said...

Hi!

When will you be in Boston? I am living here now... we should meet up for coffee or a drink if you have time.

Anonymous said...

brava diva! :)

rb said...

congratulations, ACB, on everything, and thanks for the reminder

ps. (I love you!)

ACB said...

Hello, Andrew! Yes, I will email you soon. Great to hear from you!

Dave, I can't seem to access your profile, so I have to admit that I don't know which of the many "Daves" I know you might be! Send me an email? And I wasn't actually in Boston, but rather the South Shore, Scituate to be exact. I'll be up there again soon, though.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations... but more to the point, will we get to hear any of these recordings???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...