Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Sweetest Voice

We lost another great one today, Luciano Pavarotti.

The opera world has been watching his struggle with cancer over the past year or so, and while we are so glad he's not suffering anymore, it's hard not to wish that a voice like that could have stayed. That it could always be with us, young and vibrant and singing.

I never heard Pavarotti live, but I remember sitting on the floor of my college apartment, listening to "Una furtiva lagrima" and thinking, "That is the sweetest voice I've ever heard."

Thank you, Maestro, for sharing your gift with all of us.

Opera Chic has a lovely series of tributes.

2 comments:

rhapsody407 said...

Sorry this is so completely unrelated to your post, but what is the significance of the picture that heads your blog? It looks an awful lot like Jordan Hall, so I'm just curious.

ACB said...

You are correct! I graduated from NEC in 2002, and that's actually a picture of the bows after Brahms' Deutsches Requiem. That's me in the front, looking up to the balcony...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...