Monday, July 05, 2004

First staging rehearsal today! We are working in the actual theater from the start because the set is one giant staircase. Hard to tape that out on the dorm gym floor. Imagine a scene from one of those old movie musicals with the rows and rows of dancers streaming off a staircase in opposing directions, forming concentric circles on the floor. You know what I'm talking about? It's that kind of staircase. Amazing. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

The director is really great, too; David Kneuss (pronounced like "niece") is his name, and he's worked at T'wood for many years (although not last year, MUCH to my dismay!). He's also Executive Stage Director at the Met, so he's good to know! He seems very organized and efficient, but also open to discussion and exploring with the cast. He has a definite vision, and a great suport team. Those of you who know about last year's experience will know that all this is a welcome difference. Those who don't, well, let's just move on...

My opening scene is the fight scene with Oberon. It's a great scene musically, and David (along with Alisa, our choreographer) has staged a dance of sorts, a stylized tango. It's great. Very sensual and elegant.

Oh! I just remembered that the opera is going to be broadcast on the radio here in Massachusetts. I'll look into seeing if the station has streaming broadcasts on the web, so you all can listen!

Sunday I have a concert in the morning, and I need to go spend some time with the music before I go to bed. It has been raining all day, so the air is muggy; not great for sleeping, but wonderful to listen to. Maybe it will lull me to sleep...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...