Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Sitzprobe

The opera is staged! From this point out, we're in tech week, which in opera also includes adding the element of the orchestra. So today we have what is called a Sitzprobe, a fancy German word for sitting down and singing through the opera with the orchestra. We will be in chairs on the stage, so we can hear what the orchestra will sound like from that perspective, but we won't be doing any blocking or dancing. (Hmm, have I mentioned the dancing that I'm doing this year? I'll get to that...)

All in all, the opera is in wonderful shape. A few things to get ironed out still (like the pie fight!), but on the whole it is a beautiful show. Mark and Elizabeth decided this week that they will be able to come up that weekend, so I'm off this morning to get one more ticket. Only one, since they will have Sylvia, but I think they're going to take turns - one sits inside for one act, the other hangs out on the grounds with Sylvia, then they switch at intermission. The Taylors and Erik will, of course, be here, too; he'll stay through Wednesday of the next week. That means he'll get to sit in on a rehearsal of my end of the summer projects (one coached by Dawn) and see a concert that will involve all the Vocal Fellows (folk songs of Great Britain and the US). We might even have some time to go swimming or take a bike ride through this beautiful country. Regardless, I'll be glad to have him - and everybody else! - here. This "9-5 plus overtime" lifestyle is hard without my support staff, especially my Vice President. That's a hard job to telecommute; face time is essential...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...