Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Extremes

Denver is reeling this week, and I’m not talking about the fact that the Broncos aren’t in the playoffs. Darrent Williams, the young cornerback, was killed on New Year’s Eve in what appears to be a random case of club violence and drive-by shooting.

When I watched the Christmas-miracle of a game last week, my dad pointed him out, saying, “I’m really looking forward to watching this guy develop.” He was a talented player, obviously, making some exciting plays, but it was also clear that he was a good man. His smile was big and his good-nature came through from the field to our living room. When I saw the headlines, I was sure they must be talking about another player. But they weren’t. I bet there aren’t many people in Denver who care about the playoffs anymore…

For a beautiful tribute and a Buddhist perspective on murder, please visit Denver-based James at The Buddhist Blog. “May we all be more mindful of our actions that we might not water the seeds of anger and violence in ourselves, others and in our greater world.”

And for something on the other extreme of the human spectrum, my brother shared this story from today’s New York Times: A Man Down, a Train Arriving, and a Stranger Makes a Choice. What a hero! “I don’t feel like I did anything spectacular.” Well, let me assure you, Mr. Autrey, when the majority of stories in the papers are tales of the depravity of humanity, your actions were spectacular.

More from Gothamist: "...it ain't about being a hero, it's just being able to be here and help the next person."

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming…

1 comment:

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I am still in shock over the Williams tragedy. I bet the Broncos do great next season dedicating the season to Darrent Williams. Because in the end, it's all about the people.

Talk about an inspired team next year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...