Monday, May 02, 2005

Passion

A while back, I alluded to some big gigs in February of 2006 and 2007. I still can’t talk about 2007, but it’s finally time to get next year’s big gig off my chest. It’s been “official” for a couple of months, now, but it didn’t really seem real until I saw this website.

Next year I will make my European debut singing Osvaldo Golijov’s Grammy-nominated Pasiòn Segun de San Marcos. This is thrilling for me in so many ways. First, LONDON! Enough said. The two week tour will also make stops in Atlanta (three performances for the hometown crowd!) and New York. The NYC performances are part of Lincoln Center’s Osvaldo Golijov Festival. Second, I am so honored that Osvaldo chose me to sing this piece. I will never forget my first encounter with him at Tanglewood in 2003, guiding us through Ainadamar. His intensity was almost off-putting at first, but by the end of the summer I knew I had found a kindred spirit. He loves my singing, but I think he will always have a soft spot in his heart for my dancing in Ainadamar! He calls me his “beautiful horse,” which I choose to see as a term of endearment.

The London concert is six days before my 30th (un)birthday. I was in Los Angeles for my birthday in 2004, singing the West Coast premiere of Ainadamar with Dawn and Osvaldo. Is this the start of a trend? I don’t think I’d mind spending every other birthday singing his wonderful music!

So here we go. Next season is an international one.
Somebody pinch me . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK! Congratulations—what a tremendous opportunity, and what an incredible piece to sing for your UK premiere! Lua descolorida is extraordinarily lovely, and I imagine will be an utter joy to perform. I hope you have a blast working with Osvaldo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...