Sunday, June 20, 2004

more on the environment

I was just doing some searching online about my summer neighborhood. Looks like I'll be right in the heart of old downtown Pittsfield. Norman Rockwell lived and worked in Stockbridge, MA, which is about ten miles down the road. Very similar in feel and look; your classic American small town. My street is a few blocks off the main street, quiet, but close to everything.

I will be about half a mile from a coffee shop that has wireless internet. I anticipate having coffee there quite often while I check email and write my blog. Erik has set me up with a nice portable computer system. Not a laptop, but a "Pocket PC." Like a PDA, but with more memory, more power, more applications. I'll be writing shorter entries until I get my portable keyboard set up; I can only write so much with that tiny stylus before I go crazy. Now, let's just hope that these folks really know how to make a latte...

I'm also right up the street from the Berkshire Museum, which has a fabulous art house cinema. My host family took me there last summer; we saw I Capture the Castle and Whale Rider. A small theatre, it was filled with people in Berkenstocks and sweaters who made lots of "hmm"ing noise throughout the films. You know, low "hmms" for something that strikes them as really deep, higher ones for things that catch them by surprise or that mean "I hadn't thought of it that way before." I know where of I speak. I am certainly one of those people! I'm looking forward to spending more time there with my kind.

More later...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...