Saturday, October 15, 2005

Down for the count

So I was unsuccessful in completely avoiding the cold that is going around. It’s impossible to pinpoint where I caught it, as it is truly everywhere: LF, upstairs, had it two weeks ago; CT had it last week; I spent 10 hours on airplanes this weekend, surrounded by germs and recycled air; my sister-in-law went down with the flu the day after I left their apartment; and my good friend SA, with whom I spent time this weekend, sent me a text message the day I got home saying that he had a sore throat. His message was sweet, and such a “singer” thing, in that the news was accompanied by instructions to “do whatever I do” to take care not to get sick, myself. Ah, well. Guess it was unavoidable.

I’ve cancelled my appointments for the day (a workshop with BBOT and a few makeup piano lessons) and will be curled up on the couch while the rest of the household heads to Bainbridge Island for an apple pressing party (the result of the pressing being lots of apple cider). I’m sending along an unusual cheesecake, made yesterday when I was feeling less like a blob.

I have to sing a few numbers on a BBOT fundraiser concert tomorrow, which should be fine. My throat isn’t sore anymore. That was yesterday; today it’s in my nose and head, making me feel like I have a pumpkin head. Cute. With plenty of sleep and liquids (and food! “Feed a cold, starve the flu.”), I should be fine tomorrow. My high notes won’t sound right in my head, but that’s when technique comes in to play! I have to trust that the sound coming out is being properly produced, and, therefore, sounds good. Trust… a skill that is often late in developing in singers…

Time for another nap…

Current Listening: Iron & Wine Radio on Pandora; new (to me) artists: Jose Gonzalez, Sexsmith & Kerr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoot! I can say it wasn't me, I'm still healthy!

Great seeing you in NYC last weekend, I owe you an email.

Get better soon :), Erica

Princess Alpenrose said...

Ugh. I feel for you.
Cheesecake recipe looks killer good! You're right about technique triumphing over stuffiness. Am personally living the example of singer without trust (finally) learning to do so. So I'm raising a cup of herbal tea in a toast. Hope you can get some good sleep.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...