Friday, October 21, 2005

Hotels

**Unable to post this last night, due to less than perfect wifi. It's all still true, just late. Good morning!**

I love staying in hotels. Well, good hotels, at least! I was thinking as I was packing this morning, and it’s been a while since I’ve stayed in a hotel. (Ok, so the DT and I stayed in one on our way home from Santa Fe, but that was such a dump that it hardly counts!) The last time might have been in April, when Erik and I splurged for our 5th anniversary and spent a night at the Fairmont Olympic, which is at the opposite end of the hotel spectrum! So luxurious, so special, so fabulous. Sigh…

I’m not at a Fairmont this weekend, but I am at a Hilton, so there are no boot prints on my pillow. I have a nice room with a king-sized bed and wireless internet (not free, but better than nothing). My dinner in the restaurant was disappointing (won’t be going back), but I’ve filled out my room-service breakfast card because, honestly, who can mess up toast, coffee, and yogurt? I’ve splayed out my “lotions and potions” all over the bathroom and hung my dresses in the closet. I ran the shower for about ten minutes to get some moisture in the air, and after I finish this post I plan on curling up in bed with the five fluffy pillows and my book. All in all, I’m pretty well settled.

I did mange to forget my slippers and my black cashmere cardigan, two comforts of home that I usually don’t travel without. I think there was something about not getting on a plane that messed with my mental packing list. I know singers who have an actual packing list, something that they print out and check off to make sure they don’t forget anything. I’m surprised that I’ve never done that, seeing how I like to make lists and charts, but never forgetting anything means you never get to go shopping to buy a replacement!

Oops, did I really say that? Don’t worry, Erik, I’m not going to go buy another cashmere sweater. This isn’t like the three trips to New York when I forgot my audition shoes and had to buy new ones, or the trip to San Francisco when I forgot all my make-up and head to buy more. Really. It’s not. But, now that I think about it, there isn’t any sales tax in Oregon, so… Who knows! =]

I’m very impressed with the organization of Belle Voci. Three weeks ago I received a folder filled with information about the competition – schedules, competitors, etc. – and Eugene – directions, services, “things to do.” Very thoughtful and well-presented. When I arrived at the hotel (one of two in town that had a special rate for BV competitors), there was an envelope waiting for me with details about tomorrow. Again, so organized! I love it. This is only the second BV competition, so they obviously have someone involved who knows how to put together an event.

Tomorrow, I’ll be picked up at 10:00 and taken to the University, where I’ll have a warm-up room for about 20 minutes. This is so thoughtful, because getting a good warm-up in a hotel is next to impossible. I’ll do some humming and low scales in the shower, but in order to be fully warm, I’ll need a few minutes in a room with a piano. I’ve decided to start with Nannetta, even though this is a competition and I’m tempted to start flashier. But the semi-final round is in two parts – morning round, I pick my aria; evening round, judges pick – so I figure they can ask for flashy if they want to hear it. Just like an audition. I’m not going to start second guessing myself, especially when Nannetta has brought me such luck. What’s the saying, “Stick with the one that brought you?”

Time for bed! More tomorrow.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am SO with you on the hotel thing -- LOVE them. Alec always laughs at me because I get so excited when I get to stay in one. Toi toi toi, and be sure to let us know how it goes! I'm off to teach 3 year olds.....

Princess Alpenrose said...

Am also a HOTEL JUNKIE. The fancier the better. Even better than that is a fancy hotel at a ridiculously good rate.

Who among us doesn't relish the opportunity to be pampered and spoiled (or at least not have to do the laundry, load the dishwasher and clean up whatever the pets dragged in/yukked up)?

Bonus points for a hotel with a spa...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...